UV-C LED Benefits
Why wavelength section is important
With the popularity of low-pressure mercury lamps, 254 nanometers (nm) have been thought of as the ideal wavelength for disinfection, even though the peak germicidal effectiveness falls between 260 and 270 nm, depending on the specific pathogen.
UV-C LEDs are quasi-monochromatic, a majority of output falls within a 10-nm gap, but can be engineered in a variety of wavelengths within the germicidal range to target specific pathogens or the general peak pathogen UV sensitivity, such as 255, 265, 275 nm, etc.
The choice of wavelength is usually dependent upon multiple factors which may include:
- UV-C LED Cost – Although rapid advances in UV-C LED manufacturing and increasing volumes are steadily driving down prices, the manufacturing cost of UV-C LED devices varies by wavelength
- UV-C LED Lifetime – Current best-in-class devices have a lifetime of 10,000 hours with 70% of initial output (L70), however, there is a high degree of variability between LED device manufacturers’ specifications related to lifetime at different wavelength values
- UV Optical Output – The output power of a UV-C LED device varies based on wavelength. Current best-in-class devices deliver optical output values up to 100 mW Target Organism Action Spectra – Pathogens have different spectral sensitivity for different UV wavelengths
- UV Transmittance – The UV transmittance of the fluid being treated is a critical parameter for sizing UV systems. Different water UV-Transmittance values have different absorbance characteristics that must be accounted for.
Applications of wavelength selection
Many laboratories and researchers are currently conducting bench-scale inactivation research using multiple UV-C wavelengths. This research is expected to support the further implementation of selectable wavelength products in the future.
The AquiSense PearlLab Beam™ is a compact Collimated Beam Device that employs UV LEDs and is available in a suite of individually addressable wavelengths, designed specifically for research. More information can be found here.
However, wavelength selection does not just benefit researchers. It has applications within the industrial and medical sectors as if you know a specific pathogen or bacteria that you want to target, you can select the wavelength that will ensure that it is destroyed rather than just reduced.
The benefits of UV-C LED wavelength selection
The greatest benefit of wavelength selection is the ability to choose the exact wavelength that suits your disinfection needs. If you know the microorganism you are trying to either reduce or make inactive, you can tailor the wavelength of your UV-C LED to ensure optimal effectiveness.
This ability to target specific bacteria that might be present on a surface, in the air, or in the water allows for greater disinfection and the peace of mind knowing that the right wavelength is being used to target that bacteria.
Plus, our devices allow you to easily change the wavelength, resulting in flexibility to target different organisms that might be present in the same water source.
Discover our range of UV-C LED devices
Our PearlAqua, PearlLab, and PearlAero UV-C LED range pushes the barrier for conventional UV treatment. They are not simply a substitute for conventional UV systems rather a game-changer due to the ability to select the desired wavelength.
Our flagship systems integrate state-of-the-art LEDs into a unique and compact design without the use of chemicals or mercury-based UV lamps.
A self-contained, plug and play disinfection system with the most robust construction system, it features:
- Easy installation
- A robust construction
- Small footprint
- Self-Contained system
- Customizable to your needs
- And operates with low power consumption.
Why you should use AquiSense Technologies
At AquiSense Technologies we love a challenge and are dedicated to working on your problem to ensure an innovative solution. As the global leader in UV-C LEDs disinfection modules for homes, industrial and laboratory use, we have built a reputation as the go-to UV-C LED specialists.
Think we can help solve your problem? Get in contact to see how we can help.
About AquiSense Technologies
AquiSense Technologies is a leading UV-C LED product manufacturer developing laboratory research tools in addition to air, water, and surface treatment products. We operate as a business-to-business company supplying components to laboratories, Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), and distributors within the manufacturing space.